Friday, October 28, 2005

Wherefore Art Thou Going, Stila?

Estee Lauder is selling Stila. Some articles on it's downfall:

Business Wire.
Reuters.
Forbes.

In recent years there has been an avalanche of boutique makeup brands, and as I expected, it seems they aren't doing too well. Stila suffered "operating losses of $3.3 million for the latest quarter" (Reuters). Essentially, with all these cult brands, it's all in the packaging, however Stila is unique in that it created a number of 'new' products and focused on quality, colour and texture (their finely-milled eyeshadows and brushes especially). Who knows who will buy it, and who knows if the quality will be maintained.

Favourite Stila products: Kitten, Chime, Diamond Li'l eyeshadows, Pussycat Doll, Watermelon lipglazes, Lotus rouge pot, #20 eye enhancer brush.

Did you know Estee Lauder owns MAC? I know they own just about everything else, but, MAC? Fortunately MAC and Bobbi Brown, two of my favourite brands, are doing well.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jules said...

Well, we already had this conversation on MSN, but I can't NOT comment on this blog entry.

It makes me kind of sad, and I'm wondering who will buy Stilla. Maybe we should start stockpiling Lip Glazes now (although I already have an obscene number - faves are Grapefruit, Black Cherry and Cranberry).

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home