Tuesday, November 29, 2005

The Office

Without doubt, one of my favourite ever shows. Not only a brilliant piece of comedy, but the characters were so immacutely well done.

(Segway...I think this is what 'does' it for me in regards to TV shows and movies: characters. Sure, the story is important, and I always look out for cinematography but it's the way the characters are written and played that makes it or breaks it for me. I was speechless when I first saw The Best Intentions because of how highly developed the characters were. Ditto with Six Feet Under. Even Seinfeld is in the same boat because despite the jokes, the characters are so real and complex.)

Last night I finished watching The Office Christmas Special. It was perfection. You always sit on edge when something so beloved goes for a bit extra but this was faultless. The characters continued in the same vain, it was beautifully cringe-worthy and the ending - sublime.

I mean, I cried when Dawn came back for Tim. This is a fucking comedy, and I cried. I loved the characters of Dawn and Tim so much and thought it was perfect the way the initial series ended, with them not getting together. I justified it to all the friends who couldn't understand it. But it happened, she cried and came back for him...

8 Comments:

Blogger TessaJ said...

Can you believe that I've never seen this?

4:42 PM  
Blogger Em said...

I love the show. So good! Can't believed you cried - that is gorgeous!!

6:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love The Office!

6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such a good show! The American version just does not compare.

4:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i just can't believe that Brent managed to pick up such a nice 'bird'.

Funnily enough the most memorable scene for me was when he told the new boss guy and that other bloke (can't recall any names) to FUCK OFF. So un-Brent like....normally he'd keep digging and make a twat out of himself and I'd crawl under the sofa and plug my ears with dog hair to avoid hearing his next comment....but for the first time I had some respect for him and dare i say....felt a bit sorry for him.

12:53 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

I know - you saw this tiny amount of growth, and it impressed me even more, because as much as it's hilarious in that painful sort of way to watch him you can understand that he would amend himself ever so slightly, hopefully and as we saw, for the better.

I couldn't help but think, the love of a good woman...

12:59 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

As Vanessa says, the American version was beyond bad, so please TJ, don't even watch a millisecond of it. But do try and seek out the original. And report back!

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you come across this website?

japanese interior design

3:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home