Friday, November 18, 2005

Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow

Yesterday: Instead of going to a magazine Christmas party (what is this old-age-sick-of-wanky-types-prefer-a-good-meal-with-good-wine-and-good-conversation bullshit?), N and I went to (and stayed at) Five Ways for pizza and wine. Oh, pizza just as I like it, there are few things better. Thin, with minimal toppings. A la Italia. Five Ways in Paddington is one of my favourite areas in Sydney. Packed tightly with little eateries, pubs and designer shops (as well as some of the prettiest property), it really does feel like a slice of Europe. Disclaimer: I'm never one for cliches like "a little slice of (insert quaint country)" - in fact, I'm usually repulsed by these kinds of unimaginative comparisons. But last night there was something in the air, or maybe it was my mood, and everyone was out and the weather had a slight coolness and on our way to the magazine party we passed a restaurant called Tapenade ("tapas and clay pot specialties") that oozed charm and Spain and golden hues and drew us in. That, and the creme brulee specials on the blackboard. Tucked away in the courtyard N had the white chocolate and I the dark chocolate and they were served in flat clay pots and were a bit too rich but it was so damn charming. Must go back for a proper meal. Must.

Today: Today is N's birthday and it's the perfect day for a birthday: blue sky, sunny, warm. There are one dozen long stem red roses heading her way because she deserves them. She is a great friend. Tonight we are going with her mum and aunt to the infamous Little Snail for dinner. It's a Sydney institution and I've never been, so am looking forward to it.

Tomorrow: A cleaning day thanks to my new washing machine (it has funky buttons - I'm excited) and a plant-buying trip on Sunday (need to scrub the balcony, could be interesting). In the evening N and I are going to watch the football/soccer (Sydney FC vs Perth Glory) and with this week's AMAZING result of Australia qualifying for next year's World Cup (!!!) we are hoping for a huge turnout and party atmosphere.

And the day after tomorrow: I have been invited to A's nephew's Christening (what do I buy as a present?!) which should be interesting. His other ex will be there (she's best friends with A's sister, I know, complicated) but I am looking forward to catching up with his sister, mum and grandmother, for whom I might wear my new Guccis. She loves my shoes - what a woman and what taste!

7 Comments:

Blogger TessaJ said...

Sounds like a filled weekend -- hopefully the Christening won't be too...well, that it won't be too anything. (What does one bring to a Christening? Gin?) And I hear you on the "slice" cliche, but sometimes it's just so appropriate.

10:56 AM  
Blogger Julia said...

I just cannot google 'christening gifts' because I can't handle pages of pastel coloured lace and crochet and whatnot.

Alcohol was my first thought...

10:59 AM  
Blogger Jules said...

Christening gifts are, traditionally, gifts for the baby. Bunnykins mugs, bowls, etc. Perhaps a book for when the baby is older. Blankies and other cute baby things.

1:57 PM  
Blogger Jules said...

Oh, and as for the "little slice of...[insert place here]" - if you make it up to Brisbane, remind me to take you for a drive through Park Road at Milton which has... a mini Eiffel Tower (no kidding) and some of the cheesiest "we're pretending to be oh-so-European" cafes. Very cringeworthy.

1:58 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

Oops, he's one year old.

What does one get for a one year old?!

1:59 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

Jules - what were they thinking?!

2:00 PM  
Blogger Jules said...

I have no idea what the creators of Park Rd were thinking. Maybe "this is how we can look cultured and sophisticated and draw all the yuppies out to spend their money in our cafes" (because Australia can never be cultured or sophisticated - we must import these things direct from Europe!!).

It doesn't look cultured or sophisticated - it looks very wannabe and try-hard pathetic. Every time I drive past there (thankfully not that often), I shake my head and think "why?"

2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home