Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Recent Pleasures

+ Merci mille fois to Nicole for sending me the latest Inrockuptibles magazine devoted entirely to Gainsbourg, which I devoured last night. I enjoyed the interview with Carla Bruni, who I adore. Beautiful, talented, unpretentious, I want her as a best friend.
+ Easy Way Milk Ice Tea with pearls. I love popping down to Chinatown for one of these and sucking up the sago with those big straws. So far almond milk is my favourite flavour but chocolate and pudding are next on the list.
+ Travel surfing. It gives me such a thrill to have 13 windows open each with foreign delights.
+ Nuggets of information like this (from Fodors.com on Breton cuisine): Crepes are eaten from the triangular tails up to save the most flavorful buttery part for last. Folklore, however, permits older folks to eat the best part first in case some awful tragedy prevents them from enjoying "la part de Dieu."

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

the almond-flavored bubble tea is my favorite too...i think we have very similar tastes ;)

1:13 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

Ooh! Any other flavours worth trying?

1:25 PM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

Hmmm...is that the tea with the tapioca bubbles at the bottom? My students bought me some of that a few months ago. I couldn't handle the bubbles. It's a texture thing.

2:20 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

Yep that's it. The sago is a love or hate thing - they're tastless, chewy and so addictive.

2:25 PM  
Blogger Jules said...

Are you drinking this on your Vegan Day? Is it milk-milk or soy milk?

When I was in China, there was this very yummy dessert of coconut milk, tapioca bubbles, and tinned fruit. Yum. I never knew what it was called though, since the menu was written in character script, so it was always just "Number 129", said in Chinese to the waitress.

3:01 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

Not having one today (although I have a serious craving for one, especially learning today that there is one not far from work). It's milk-based and sadly, surprisingly high in fat.

3:10 PM  
Blogger chimera said...

glad you enjoyed Les Inrocks !

8:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes yes, the tapioca pearls are so addictive! It's very much an Asian thing though... a lot of Westerners I know can't fathom the appeal of chewy flavourless starch balls!

I love taro flavour personally, and the shop at Market City (by the Japanese sushi shop and Japan City) does the best version in Sydney.

And I totally agree on the crepe thing too... I always save the best till last (I'll do it with sushi rolls too).

I've tagged you for this Five Food Challenges meme too. Play, don't play, entirely up to you =)

10:59 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

That's where I go too Helen!

3:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great minds...

I tend to stick to taro cos it's so good, but I've had salty plum too from EasyWay which was quite delicious.

3:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great minds...

I tend to stick to taro cos it's so good, but I've had salty plum too from EasyWay which was quite delicious.

3:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Argh. That was me before. Dodgy connection. Bad bad bad ISP!

3:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

julia ~ coconut black tea is also amazing...i'm not into the fruit flavored ones....

2:28 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

I'm not into fruit either, coconut is next on my list (having chocolate as I type - I'm addicted!).

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home