Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Roots

Kath forwarded on an email she received from a film company who are making a documentary about first generation Australians who go back to their family's country of origin and live the life they'd likely have had if their family had never left.

I've never thought about it. Never thought about what my life, our life, would be like had mum and dad never left the USSR. So I started thinking about it...it would no doubt be an incredibly harder life, poor, crammed in to a tiny hole in the wall, and what would I be doing? Waitress? Shop assistant? Then I spoke to mum about it and she said that while we'd definitely be living in an apartment the size a bedroom, that my opportunities would not be so bleak, that I could go to university as it's free and do anything I wanted. A borsch-slurping fur hat wearing brain surgeon?

It's all hypothetical, especially as she also said there would not be a me, with the poverty if they'd stayed, with dad not wanting another child.

I've applied.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jules said...

That would really be fascinating.

3:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an interesting idea. Keep us posted.

4:34 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Wow - what a thought.
I'm a first generation American (at least half of one - my father was an immigrant) as well and would love to see what that would be like. My father was very poor growing up and his father got a job in America with Singer that paid very well and would get his family into a better situation. When he arrived, my father was very dedicated and worked for everything he has and really built himself a fairly comfortable life here.
Plus he's Dutch, so I'd be sporting an EU passport which would be nice.

7:04 AM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

OH, that would be fantastic! Do let us know what happens :)

10:26 AM  
Blogger Y said...

That sounds like an amazing opportunity! I really hope you get to do this.

5:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home