Monday, February 06, 2006

The Weekend Included:

Watching Memoires Of A Geisha*; Hitch with yummy mee grob at Kath's; first fantastico Italian class with the Fellini-esque Giacomo; The Amazing Human Body exhibition, cheese plate** at DJs.

* A visually beautiful movie. Stunning to look at. However I was disappointed that many aspects of the book, which I loved, were downplayed, for example the details of the dress, makeup and education of a geisha. And it didn't show the true ending, instead closing with a Hollywood kiss. And what was with the full painted lips, and not the geisha bud of red?
** Pont L'Eveque, how I love thee...

4 Comments:

Blogger la femme said...

I was disappointed with Geisha too- loved the book, but the screen adaptation didn't work out as well as it could have. Visually exquisite though.

Cheese plates make the best dessert.

3:26 PM  
Blogger The unknown poster said...

I haven't seen it yet but didn't it bother you that they employed Chinese actresses to play Japanese parts. I mean common, they are so obviously not Japanese. I think this would distract me way too much from what's going on in the movie.

7:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've heard Geisha was disappointing, which is so sad b/c the book is one of my top ten reads. And I'm dying to hear more deets about I-talian class. Katie Couric (on the Today Show) was in Rome today, and I'm so jealous.

3:56 AM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

Sounds like everyone had the same reaction to the film...I think it's hard to translate the story of a book like that into film.

7:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home