Monday, March 06, 2006

Oscars

I've dolled up and will be heading to mum's after work for dinner, Champagne and home made profiteroles to nibble on while watching the Oscars. I have filled out my ballot, although the only movies I have seen are Capote, Walk The Line, Crash, Transamerica, Mrs Henderson Presents, Joyeux Noel, Memoirs of a Geisha, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory...ok, quite a few.

All I really want is for Philip Seymour Hoffman to win best actor and Reese Witherspoon to win best actress. Oh, and Walk The Line for Costume Design (very hard to choose this year). Why isn't there a soundtrack category? Walk The Line should win that too.

Can't wait for the red carpet.

Overview: I cheated, as I always do, and spent the day refreshing oscars.com. I cannot believe Crash won Best Picture (sorry TJ). It's such a cliched, obvious film with that whining bring-on-the-emotions slow-mo soundtrack. While I don't always agree with her, the NY Times film reviewer is spot on with how I feel about this movie. Otherwise I am thrilled that Reece and Philip won, both so deserving. It's acting like this that enchants me about the movies. I also picked 13 out of the 24 categories!

* Reese's speech left me with butterflies. It should be mandatory listening for everybody. Children should listen to it at school. She's a gem. Download and watch it again here. *

Fashion Thumbs Up: Michelle Williams - yes, I liked it! It looks vintage and she can pull off a yellow that most people couldn't. I would've dropped the necklace though; Reece and Ryan, understated, elegant (*update, watch the aftershow interview and Reece says her dress is 1957 original Dior she found in a vintage store in Paris, wow.*); Salma Hayek, a stunner, pure and simple; Jada Pinkett Smith, the amazing blue colour is a standout; Diane Kruger, me likey - a cool blonde pulling out all the right stops; I mostly love Naomi Watts - I love the nude colour, it is beyond perfect, I love the tulle, I love the hair and makeup but the top ends too low below her hip, creating an ugly line and shortening her.
Fashion Unsures: Keira Kneightly, I just love the colour, but the look is too old for you; Nicole Kidman, another cool blonde look but what is happening down on the skirt?; Uma Thurman, I love dark eyes but they were too dark, and the dress, while it's a beautiful Champagne hue, is not pushing my buttons; Charlize Theron looks tired. It's a spectacular dress but the bust is unflattering and the hairstyle is too 60s and detracts from the overall wow factor.
Fashion Thumbs Down: Jennifer Lopez, that dress is like a curtain to her punani; Sandra Bullock, what is that mesh bit under that drab dress?; Rachel Weisz is Boring with a capital B; Jessica Alba, for such a pretty girl with a hot body this was too old and personality-less for her; Dolly Parton - why darlin', why?!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am in (almost-except for Alba) complete agreement with you. (We have such good taste.) :)
Michelle Williams looked amazing, and Reese was lovely.

6:17 AM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

I can't decide about Michelle's dress, though I think she looked beautiful.

I forgive you for not liking Crash!

I think one of the main things that I liked is that not one film dominated; there were so many great films this year, and it was nice to see so many get recognized.

9:58 AM  
Blogger Jules said...

I really did not like the colour of Michelle's dress, although it did make her stand out in the crowd. I think that the style was great, but the colour was too overwhelming and just too orange.

10:30 AM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

Oh, I just rewatched Reese's speech. She's so articulate and just lovely.

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home