Wednesday, May 24, 2006

The Winter Is My Discontent

I hate winter. As in, detest, despise. Without a doubt the first thing I'll do when I win Lotto (ok, the second thing, after treating my family and myself to ridiculous amounts of lobster sashimi) is lock in four months of each year to spend somewhere warm. I hate the feeling of thick clothes and layers on my skin, it's almost like claustrophobia. As much as winter clothes can be lovely (coats, of whichI want more, in ever colour; boots) it takes me ten times longer to get dressed in winter. I hate the cold nights, shivering and running to your destination like a waterlogged rat. Pale skin and red noses. Cold ears (the worst). Sure, Sydney winters can hardly be described as cold, but it's cold enough for me. So, for optimism's sake, here is a list of good things about winter (it's so much shorter than summer's):

+ Dior Poison Hypnotic, my winter perfume
+ Hot chocolate
+ Red wine
+ Fishnets
+ Osso buco, lamb shanks, cooked for hours
+ Puddings
+ Travelling to Europe or Asia

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hon, i don't need to tell you about my feelings for winter....suffice to say HOW HORRIBLE WAS LAST NIGHT??

I was in bed before 8 WITH MY UGG BOOTS ON (yes, ugg boots IN bed)as well as the heater on high. I thought I left that kind of weather in Canberra!

Another good thing about winter...imperial mandarins. And that's it. There is nothing else.

9:59 AM  
Blogger Julia said...

I knew you'd be there to support me! Last night was horrid. It better not be a sign of things to come.

I'd be happy with a winter like last year, mild enough for light jumpers.

10:16 AM  
Blogger Doll Face said...

Yesterday was the coldest Sydney day for 8 months... Winter is good for DVD nights snuggled under a blanket on the lounge drinking hot chocolate.

2:06 PM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

You forgot the most important winter activity: Staying in bed all day, under cozy covers, and having hot sex with a hot man.

6:24 AM  
Blogger la femme said...

The boots and coats are the best part.

I used to live in Northern Ontario, Canada, where 40 below was a regular temperature. Toronto is better, but I'm still itching to move somewhere like the South of France.

Thank god for Uggs (I first came to depend on them when living in South Australia- which seems ironic somehow)

1:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home