Monday, July 17, 2006

Bliss

I love weekends like this...

Bought a new DVD recorder, inspected an investment unit (alas not for me), then settled in on the lounge with warm Milo and black olives for three hours of cooking shows (including my heartthrob Giorgio). It's raining outside and I'm snuggled under my mohair rug. Bliss. Then evening falls and A and S come over to polish off a bottle of Moet before getting the munchies in the wee hours and going down to Chinatown. I finally tried congee (with scallops). Oh! I knew I would love it and I do - the bland taste and texture of watery rice porridge filled with plump, barely-cooked scallops and topped with ginger, shallots and fried crunchy curly wurlys. Enhanced with a drop of soy sauce. Ideal comfort food.

And how I love sleeping in, especially in winter when you have no plans. Reading in bed on a Sunday morning. Then meeting Kath and Marianna for pottering around. Even bought a pair of shoes. And the latest Lucky. Home for cooking my new favourite mushroom pasta and strawberry basil pesto courtesy of Chocolate & Zucchini followed by a good Sunday night movie. Very comforting.

8 Comments:

Blogger chimera said...

sounds like a lovely weekend indeed !

3:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

those three hours of cooking shows on a saturday afternoon are what allow me to survive winter. Pure unadulterated escapism.

9:38 AM  
Blogger Steph said...

Sundays were designed for exactly the activities you described.

12:44 PM  
Blogger la femme said...

Mmmm. Bliss indeed.

Ironically enough, it is roasting here in Canada while the temperature is cool in Australia. I'd like to head back Down Under to escape the insane humidity. It is not often I can say that about this country!

** Those sandals are very elegant. Witchery is a great name for a label.

1:53 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

Eurobabe, I would swap with you in an instant! Although it's not unbearably cold here (about 18 degrees), I do prefer too hot to cold anytime.

Witchery is a great label for affordable clothes, and their shoes are getting better and better.

2:01 PM  
Blogger Jules said...

Congee - blech! Not a fan at all!! I could not bring myself to eat this in China, since it reminded me of gruel!

3:15 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

Haha I've heard that before - but you must try it!

3:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this sounds just lovely. i love weekends like this too. and i kind of wish it was winter here b/c it is so FREAKING hot

10:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home