Tuesday, July 18, 2006

My Gift To You

Have I told you that I am mad about cooking again now that I'm back from my trip? I have very little interest in going out to eat/take away (although I did go out last night for some superb seafood and barbecued meat at Nick's Bondi). I guess so many of the meals I had in Europe had such a comforting, homemade taste to them, with so many accompanied by good stories, good laughs, that I want to keep that going in my home.

Watching a rerun of Surfing The Menu last week I picked up a mushroom pasta recipe that I've already made twice so far, and is definitely my new favourite. I love mushrooms, and I especially love mushroom sauce with pasta - it's my favourite thing to whip up at home when I'm tired and have few ingredients. And this version could be the best ever. The key is in cooking the mushrooms, read on.

Mushroom Ricotta Pasta

Cooked pasta, like fusili, which really holds this kind of sauce
A punnet or bag of mushrooms, diced in small pieces (field, button, Swiss or a mix)
Handful of chopped olives (they used green, I used black which worked really well, I also omitted them the second time, just as good)
Clove of garlic
Few dollops of ricotta
A little cream
Parsley, roughly chopped
Fresh chili, sliced thinly
Olive oil, salt and pepper

Heat a generous glug of olive oil on medium heat and throw in the mushrooms, with a little more oil on top. Cook for about 5 minutes, season, and add the garlic. Keep cooking the mushrooms until no or very little juice come out when gently squeezed. Mushrooms are 70% water and cooking them for longer than what we usually do concentrates the flavour and makes them super delicious. Once they're ready add a little cream, a generous coating of the mushrooms but not enough to make a sauce - but this is to taste. Add the ricotta and cook until it disolves. Add the parsley and chili, stir through and remove from heat. To present, stir through hot pasta and you can add a few extra dollops of ricotta, fresh parsley and Parmesan.

Of course there are no photos as this smells and tastes so good you eat it as soon as it's ready, no time wasting on silly photo taking.

3 Comments:

Blogger Doll Face said...

oh yum yum yum!

4:19 PM  
Blogger Jules said...

That sounds amazing.

10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im going to come to AU JUST so you can make this for me. YUM, YUM, YUM

10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home