Monday, September 18, 2006

1 To 10

1. Since I am now addicted to coffee for the first time in my life, try bombon coffee.
2. Start tax. Have anxiety attack. Drink more coffee. Have a cigarette. Do more tax. Feel calmer.
3. Make the most incredible potato and leek soup in less than 20 minutes. For 2-3 servings, dice 3 potatoes, slice one leek, half an onion and 2 garlic cloves, and add to a pot. Saute with a little butter until the onions and leek soften. Add about 400ml of stock (I used chicken), pop the lid on and simmer until the potatoes are cooked. Process with a hand blender until completely smooth. You can add cream at this point, but with enough processing the soup will be creamy enough. Season. In the bowl, sprinkle with chopped chives, and if you're lucky enough to be given a huge wedge of pecorino flavoured with truffles, add a few thin slices, but don't stir, let the warmth of the soup melt this wonderfully heady cheese.
I'm on a roll, so then make the easiest, cutest, chewy Jam Drops. Preheat oven to 180C. In a bowl mix 200g of self-raising flour, 5 Tablespoons of butter, 5 Tablespoons of sugar and 1 egg. Roll mixture into little balls (the size of big walnuts) and pop onto a baking sheet. Press down into the centre with your thumb knuckle, making a small indent, and spoon a little strawberry jam. Bake for about 12 minutes, until pale golden brown. Enjoy with a glass of cold milk - heaven!
5. Buy stunning, gorgeous, love-of-my-life Marni clutch online satisfied this is your reward for doing tax.
6. Lie on couch all night thanks to horrible back pain.
7. Wake up on Sunday morning with the worst headache. Head feels like it's in a clamp all day.
8. Make vegetable stock with leftover scraps from the soup.
9. Go for a big walk, along the beautiful Bay Run. Feels fantastic. The view is gorgeous, as are the men. Must buy sexy exercise gear.
10. End the weekend with a bowl of buttered pilmeni, Extras and going crazy with headache.


Bombon coffee = espresso with condensed milk = good


Potato and leek soup


Jam Drops about to go in the oven

10 Comments:

Blogger la femme said...

Jesus! I want to do my taxes at your place.

Can we please, please get a photo of the Marni clutch when it arrives?

12:00 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

There will be photos for sure!

12:14 PM  
Blogger SassyAssy said...

I stumbled onto your blog today and you simultaneously made me hungry and want to shop. I love your writing style. Good luck on the taxes (I do that for a living and it gives me a non-stop headache!)

12:20 PM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

Yay! You finished your taxes!

(But what's up with you drinking coffee????)

1:12 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

Hi sassy, thanks for stopping by :-) You are a brave woman doing it for a living!

I've almost finished, I just need my dear sister to help me sort out the mistakes and set me up on a more orderly way of doing it from here on in.

2:31 PM  
Blogger la femme said...

That coffee looks divine. Beyond divine. Ack, I vowed to substitute green tea for caffeine this week, and now I'm craving your bombon coffee.

2:58 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

I'm one of these freaks who gets sleepy on coffee and needs tea to stay awake. Except a week ago I became addicted to coffee, and need a large flat white from the local Italian deli every morning. Still drinking tea, but now I'm thinking of coffee all the time.

Eurobabe, have you had white tea? It has a really nice subtle taste and the most antioxidants of any drink.

3:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh...I love Jam Drops! I make them all the time at Christmas (with crushed pecans on the bottom of the cookie). All these foods look delicious. :)

xoxo
Raquel
http://seattleite69.blogspot.com/

12:53 AM  
Blogger Julia said...

Hi Raquel, still having commenting issues? Your twist with the pecans sounds great, must try that next time.

9:24 AM  
Blogger la femme said...

Yes! Funny that you mention it- my mom is a tea fanatic and I have a lovely canister of "Emperor's White Tea" in my kitchen.

11:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home