Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Cooking From The Markets Part I

Penne With Smoked Barramundi, Asparagus, Sugar Snap Peas and Tomato

When I was in Thailand, a.k.a the holiday from hell, I was trying out the spas in Phuket, allegedly for an article I was writing. I went up to the Banyan Tree, which had been awarded best spa in the world, for three hours of bliss (but the rustic Hideaway Spa in the foothills of Patong, was the best by far). Afterwards, I treated myself to lunch in the hotel's more casual restaurant, and had one of the most superb pasta dishes, which I still dream about. Penne with swordish and asparagus, in a light cream sauce. Having bought a whole smoked barramundi at the markets on Saturday, I thought I'd try to recreate this dish. Of course I didn't, but it was still a tremendous pasta dish enhanced by the smokey, meaty but not oily barramundi, that would be equally delicious in risotto, a salad, or as a pate.

While cooking the pasta, steam a bunch of asparagus sliced into inch-long pieces and/or sugar snap peas until al dente. Quarter a handful of cherry tomatoes. Flake a whole smoked barramundi and add to the cooked pasta, along with the vegetables, with a good splash of cream. Add some chopped chives as they go really well with these flavours. Season only with pepper, as the smoked barramuni is quite salty, and serve with shaved parmiggiana.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

that is a gourmet version of one of my standard summer pasta salads......i use smoked salmon, a tin of the paramount skinless boneless salmon,cherry tomatoes, frozen baby peas (you have to use the BABY peas)lots of roughly torn fresh basil and then depending on how weight conscious I am feeling I use either cream or a lemon juice/olive oil vinegarette.
Prepare all the ingredients then toss them through hot penne/spiralli or bow tie pasta and heat through.

Sublime.

12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home