Thursday, September 14, 2006

TV Dinners

There hasn't been anything to watch on TV for yonks, and now, there's an eruption of goodness.

Last night, Rick Stein's French Odyssey started and I've been waiting an age for this. I love his passion, his cooking, his philosophy. And I love Chalky! but he's not in this series. Also on Wednesday is Thank God You're Here, which can be really funny. Tonight starts Jamie's Kitchen Australia, and the original London series was must-see TV, so I can't wait for this local one. Passionate chefs, snotty disadvataged youth, the heat of the kitchen, what more could you want! And...one of my favourite ever shows, Oz, resumes on SBS next Monday after the longest hiatus, yippee!

So for the start of good TV, a perfect TV dinner. Roast garlic mash with perfectly-seared grain-fed scotch fillet, served with horseradish parsley butter. I'd been wanting to buy fresh horseradish for a while, and finally got my mitts on some at the Providores Market this weekend. Grate an inch of horseradish into a small ramekin, and add finely chopped parsley and warm salted butter (the Gympie salted butter is just a bit too good). Pop back into the fridge to harden, and serve a dollop on top of steak. It would be gorgeous swirled through mash or on top of green vegies too.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

where are you getting Gympie butter from??? That stuff is DIVINE but I didn't know you could get it down here....my parents get it direct from the makers at Eumundi markets...its the only butter they ever use these days....you just can't go back to Allowrie!

11:41 AM  
Blogger Julia said...

Exactly. Got it at the Good Living Grower's Markets but they'll be at the Northside Produce market this weekend (google it for exact day/time). The creme fraiche is very good too.

11:43 AM  
Blogger Steph said...

I can't cook to save myself but i LOVE cooking shows. Jamie Oliver is my all time fave chef.
Rich Stein annoys me for some reason. I can't put my finger on exactly why but i can't watch him.

12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home