Friday, October 27, 2006

On Sunday

My dear friend Jo is getting married.

We met in the first class of Education 101 (ha!) at Newcastle Uni almost 10 years ago. Our teacher said "turn to the person next to you and spend a minute introducing yourselves". We were sitting next to each other, and within that short space of time had spilled our whole life stories to each other (specifically, our less-than-ideal summer romances). There is nothing better than clicking with someone on first sight, and we were lucky enough to have that instant connection. Education 101 didn't last - but our friendship did, even if it was hopeless and we only caught up once a year for coffee and cigarettes - it was one of those friendships that knew what it was and was just special for it. And as my only smoking friend those coffee and cigarette catch-ups were just perfect.

When I broke up with A at the beginning of last year, Jo was brilliant, as usual. We met for dinner and I convinced her to leave her comfort zone of Sydney's north-west and meet me at a pub in Balmain. I was a mess and cried and vented and went on and on and she sat there listening and offering the right words and completely supporting me. I then caught a shiny flicker on her left hand and grabbed her to see a beautiful diamond ring, and a smile creep on her lips. She had just become engaged and hadn't want to take the attention off me, or be seen as rubbing it in. That is the kind of person she is. And then she asked if I'd be her bridesmaid, and it was the best present. My tears became those of joy for her and the honour.

Her fiance is lovely and I've rarely seen two people so in love and so perfect for each other. I am so happy for Jo, and I can't wait for the special day.


Taken in early 1997 in the photo booth of the Ourimbah campus cafeteria.
From a set of 4: Jo has the other 2.

6 Comments:

Blogger Em said...

oh that is lovely. It's always good to have an unconditional friend like that. I met my BF at University as well when we were both studying Journalism.

hope she has a wonderful wedding

11:35 AM  
Blogger Steph said...

Awww. She's a keeper.
Have fun and don't forget to post all the goss.

1:34 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

friends like that are few and far - hold on to her!

Hope she has a wonderful day. Look forward to seeing some photos.

8:01 AM  
Blogger PiCkLeS said...

I'm sure you'll look stunning make sure you post photos!!

11:18 PM  
Blogger AlphaChick said...

She is a keeper! And you my dear are a wonderful friend. Maybe one day I will be lucky to have you at my side when I do my next silly thing.

On a different note ... weddings are an excellent place to meet prospects ;)

Can't wait to see the photos

9:18 AM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

She does sound like an excellent friend. You two are lucky to have each other! Can't wait to hear about the wedding :)

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home