Thursday, December 07, 2006

27

At this time of year, with my birthday and end of year simultaneous, I can't help but think think think. Be consummed with thoughts of what I want, who I am, what has this last year been about. It's not that I overanalyse, it's more reflection with a twist of anxiety.

I thought 27 was going to be a really good year, if only because it's a nice number and it's my lucky number cubed. This year has been...indifferent, not a blip in the overall scheme of things. I realised a dream, and that will always be a highlight, of seeing the World Cup live. That still sends goosebumps up and down my body. It was a wonderful trip, albeit with underlying disquiet at times. A similar disquiet that I feel these days. But I know it passes, as the good and bad always does for me.

I have Ibiza, and Spain, and Paris and Amsterdam and Dublin and London in 2007. I have the comfort that I'm in charge of my own destiny. I'll get there.

7 Comments:

Blogger surfercam said...

All my life I thought I was going to die at the age of 27. And when I found out that Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Kurt Cobain and Jim Morrison all died at 27 that freaked me out even more.
But I am 32, so I guess I made.
I have started writing a book about it all though.

6:34 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Happy birthday julia.
And 27 was actually a rough year for me as well. But I'm seriously working to make 28 a much better year. New relationship status, new goals to work on, many changes in place....
And realizing a life goal by 27 sounds like part of a very good year to me. May all your days in the coming year be filled with more positive than anything else.

8:55 AM  
Blogger Doll Face said...

I remember many years ago (yep, naive) i thought by the age of 28 i'd be married, live in a great house in Sydney with a view - HA! Have 2 cars, 2 dogs and go on annual holidays around the world.

This outcome is so much better!

Happy Birthday sexy girl!

word ver: wearag

9:53 AM  
Blogger Mabs said...

Happiest of happy birthdays to you :)

10:55 AM  
Blogger Julia said...

Surfer - Jim and I have the same birthday, I lingered around his place in Paris on July 2 (the day he died) and wondered what it was like for him, being the same age, and have had done so much, lived to the extreme, written all those amazing words.

Thanks Karen, that's really sweet of you.

Natalie, me too, as a teen I always saw 28 as the year I'd get married. Geez, little girls and their soft dreams.

Hi Mabs!

11:13 AM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

It's all ongoing, this thing called life. And the more you plan, the more you realize that most of it is unexpected. I don't think any of us ever fully figure life out. But that's what makes it so beautiful.

1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I have Ibiza, and Spain, and Paris and Amsterdam and Dublin and London in 2007".

C'est vrai? Si viens a Dublin, dit-moi. On doit se rencontrer pour boire un verre, no?

11:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home