Thursday, January 04, 2007

Dinner At glass

"Darling, Luke Magnan trained with Michel Roux at the Waterside Inn!!".

This line, erotica to any foodie, and so it was that glass that was chosen for a dinner during Rali's visit. I love foodies, it was said last night I should be with someone from the food industry (they work long hours so I would rarely see them, and when I did, it would be to eat and talk about good food and wine, and those that like food and wine must surely be those that like all sensual delights...).

And so off we went last night, Rali, Wayne, Stephen and I, for the six-course, $110 degustation (Stephen the vegetarian option, which was amazing). First of all, can I say how much I love tasting menus, and how much I enjoyed last night: brilliant food in a sexy setting with fun friends - there's not much more that makes me happier. Since most of my friends couldn't care less about food, maybe I should start a dating/friend site: eyecandyfoodies.com?


Amuse-bouche of barely-boiled egg swirled with vanilla cream, topped with roe and gold leaf *FAVOURITE*


Scallop ceviche on top of diced potatoes, with horseradish cream, caviar and chives


Ocean trout confit on pickled cucumbers with fried echalots


Stephen's fig and blue cheese tart was amazing: the smell of warm buttery pastry makes me swoon


Roasted quail with sage farce, confit leg, morel mushroom ragout, mash, sauce soubise


Sumac roasted veal loin roasted fig, sweetbread and fennel salad, cauliflower puree

Forgot to photograph the cheese course, too busy eating.


Espresso parfait topped with marscapone and blueberries


Tonight the girls are dressed, fabulously, by TopShop and Bally (me), Zara and MaxMara (Rali)

And since Zeta was closed, naturally at the busiest time of year, it was down to Marble Bar for a cocktail, and for jumping up onto the bar and channeling 007:

8 Comments:

Blogger Jules said...

I really need to introduce you to my friend Steve in Melbourne - not only can the boy cook amazing meals, but he loves, loves, loves going out for fancy dining experiences. He's currently eating his way through NYC, DC and Montreal - bastard.

Looks like you had a fantastic meal.

2:18 PM  
Blogger Reb said...

Yum scrum. Looks like it might be worth a visit. I LOVE the idea of the food dating website. Do it do it do it.

8:26 AM  
Blogger Julia said...

Helen and Rebecca, you're my girls. And thanks for the encouragement Reb, maybe I should...I'm sure TodayTonight would pick up on it and it will be a roaring success.

Jules, bastard, indeed!

9:07 AM  
Blogger chimera said...

positively drooling over those photos...

9:30 AM  
Blogger Melanie O. said...

Food looks absolutely marvelous! I will have to do one of those tasting meals - I'll just have to make up a "special occasion" to do it.

3:54 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

Honey, a special occassion is one that you make it so. Don't wait for a special date - going somewhere special just on any ol' day is the bestest.

3:57 PM  
Blogger Carissa Duhamel said...

Too pretty to eat.

2:37 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

Amazing food! My mouth is watering.

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home