Friday, March 30, 2007

Variations Sur Le Meme Theme

Two new CDs this week, both on a similar theme, both brilliant: Travelling: French Actors Crossing Borders, and So Frenchy So Chic, The unofficial soundtrack to the 2007 French Film Festival.

After a futile online search attempting to download Avant La Haine, the ridiculously beautiful, truthful song I fell in love with from Dans Paris, I came across this CD. While I have many of the songs already, it is such a cute idea to compile the vocal gems of some great French actors, past and present. Plus it has Avant La Haine, and a bunch of other lovelies, like Helena Noguerra's adorable version of Kylie's Can't Get You Out Of My Head.

I've never been into these local compilations but hearing some of the songs before each movie of the French film festival this year had me hooked. It's a double CD of mostly unknown songs (to me) and very perfect for drives or Sunday afternoon downtime. Particularly loving the simple L'Autre Bout du Monde by Emily Loiseau and Mansfield Tya's Pour Oublier Je Dors.

And I can't wait for Carla Bruni's new CD - love the artwork on the cover alone.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the Carla Bruni cd...it is entirely in english. It is a bit mediocre. But I am a fan, so...
Delphine

1:23 AM  
Blogger Julia said...

D - thanks for letting me know. When I read about it it didn't quite grab me, but like you, I'm a fan, so...

9:19 AM  
Blogger The Late Bloomer said...

That So Frenchy CD does sound pretty adorable...

I'm with Delphine here, though; I'm a bit disappointed with Carla's latest offering -- I just can't seem to get into it. And I can't quite put my finger on why... But I'm a fan too!

11:47 PM  
Blogger Twanna A. Hines | FUNKYBROWNCHICK.com said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:31 PM  
Blogger Twanna A. Hines | FUNKYBROWNCHICK.com said...

"Avant la Haine" is such a beautiful song that it almost made me cry.

Then again, when I saw Dans Paris, I was extremely hungry and on the verge of starting this month's period cycle.

So, you know, I was probably a bit more emotional that I would usually be.

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home