Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Chronicling Thoughts

As we’ve decided to buy our tickets this week we need to work out the date we’re leaving. I’ve had mid-November in the back of my mind while D wants to leave early-mid December. Leaving at that time makes more sense with being able to save a bit more and leave looking for work till after the new year, but I’m just being pulled to leave a month earlier. I think it’s my deep-down penchant for going it out alone, flying, arriving, first steps, on my own. But then it will be different this time.

It’s only a couple of weeks. It doesn’t really matter.

Update: D emailed me as I was writing this and suggested leaving in March, for a number of reasons, all of which made sense but didn’t override the need to go this year. So I spent my lunch time daydreaming about that option, until this subject line hit my Inbox: I’ve just made a decision – fuck being sensible.

What a relief.

So I decided going together would be better. It'll be easier to do things together - look for a place, look for work. Brave the cold.

She called from the agent's that there are hardly any seats available, and I hit the net and managed to find a good fare on a good date. Let's do it.
We booked our tickets. We are leaving 6 December.
Can't really believe it but I can. We'll apply for our visas in October and keep researching, saving and daydreaming until then.

And as S just MSNd me, I'll get a bit of summer before we go. And it doesn't get better than that.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger chimera said...

brilliant !

6:27 PM  
Blogger Claire said...

Wahey...and she's off! So good. I'll bet Amsterdam at Christmas time is really pretty - you won't notice the cold! BTW have you ever read Geoff Dyer's Yoga for People Who Can't Be Bothered to Do It - there's a hilarious Amsterdam story in there...x

8:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

where are you going, I'm a bit behind!

8:23 PM  
Blogger Jules said...

6 December - fabulous!

Means that I can catch up with you when I am in Sydney in October (yay!). I rang Kat on Friday, and am looking forward to catching up with her too. Yay! Sydney!

And it also means that you will be in Europe next year, when I plan on popping up there for some much needed R&R. Woo hoo!

Isn't booking tickets for an overseas trip the most awesome feeling???

10:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just got your comment on my blog-- amsterdam, that's awesome!! I've been trying to convince nicolas we should move there! and now what with the pedal-brake bikes being the norm,w ell, I'm thinking it might be worth serious consideration. but great for you, what an awesome city-- great food, design, fashion, and extracurricular activities... we'll definitely be visiting!

9:21 PM  
Blogger The Late Bloomer said...

How amazing -- congrats to you both! What a huge decision, and I'm sure you'll pull everything together so it all works out perfectly.

Félicitations ma belle ! I hope I might get an opportunity to visit Amsterdam as well -- I've never been, if you can believe it. I'm sure I'm missing a lot; maybe I'll try to plan a trip for spring 2008...

10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home