Wednesday, September 12, 2007

You Know

You know when you have something in the fridge that you really should use up today or it's heading for the bin, but you really feel like a curry from that not-so-great Thai place up the road? Or when you've opened a carton of stock and only used a little and can't think of anything else you could possibly use it for?

Like today when I took out some lamb fillets from the freezer before work and all day was saying to myself that I just didn't feel like lamb. I felt like anything but lamb. And I love lamb, adore lamb. Except today. I even searched for recipes, nothing inspired.

So I came home and seared them. That's all you should ever do with lamb fillets, because that way they're better than anything in the world, juicy, buttery. And I love when something you exactly feel like suddenly dawns on you, and you have it all in front of you. Lamb pizzas. Lavash bread smeared with marscapone. Sweet love bite tomatoes, mushrooms cut chunky so they still have bite. Quickly caramalise some onions, slices of bocconcini. Sliced lamb, two slices on the pizza, one slice for me, repeat. Happy days.

6 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

*sigh*

happens to me all the time...how on earth are you expected, at 7am staring bleary eyed into the freezer to figure out what you're going to what to have for dinner in 12 hours time?

When someone invents a fridge which you can load up with your food, then, in the middle of the day send an SMS to tell it to eject a piece of whatever you fancy for dinner that night...well i will be pre-ordering a fridge like that.

Until then...i am having chicken stir fry with flat rice noodles tonight because I have takent he chicken out of the freezer,,,,even though I really feel like chilli con carne or spaghetti bolognaise.

12:50 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

Yes, you understand. And that fridge is a great idea!

What about a pad Thai or chicken laksa with those ingredients?

1:06 PM  
Blogger The Late Bloomer said...

God, this happens to me more times than I care to admit! And I have lost so many things in the fridge from being simply too lazy to do the cooking I had planned on doing when I woke up that day... Just not having the energy and motivation when I get home from work. This week I managed to cook more often than usual, even though I ended up eating FAR TOO LATE, but at least I made the effort. Last night was Clotilde's oven-baked ratatouille -- I've been going crazy with her cookbook lately!

I bought some mangos at the market more than a week ago that turned out to be terrible, and I'm completely regretting it. I'm sure I'll have to bin them, but I felt like the salesman at the stand pushed them on me. That's the last time I fall for that one!

7:27 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

I bought mangos at one of the metro fruit sellers once - it was actually quite good!

I will be stalking your blog for more Clotidle recipes, keep going!

9:04 PM  
Blogger AlphaChick said...

This post inspired me to cook a proper meal for the first time in 3 weeks ... tender NZ lamb steaks, seared witha rocket, cherry tomato and goats cheese salad. I even wanted to take a photo ... camera batteries died ;)

10:54 AM  
Blogger Julia said...

Oh yum!

11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home