Friday, November 23, 2007

The Best

D told me weeks ago she was taking me for a suprise on Wednesday after work. I thought it was going to be something silly-fun, like to the taping of Bingo, but when I came out there was J, W and D, all dressed up and taking me for an early birthday dinner!

I was blown. away. What sweet wonderful friends. We are leaving two days before my birthday so, not wanting me to miss out on a proper birthday celebration, they had been planning a surprise, complete with dinner and hilarious presents! November 21 is now my Australian birthday date!
They took me to Longrain, which we'd been planning to go to together for yonks, so imagine their shock when I reported back about A and I's fantastic dinner there just this Saturday! Live across the road for two+ years, never eat there, and then dine twice in one week. It was even more delicious this time, cocktails and fantastic WA wine, the Barossa chicken, pork belly which was too good, crunchy yet melting and all caramely, and an amazing soft-shell crab. And dessert was incredible, I really couldn't expect such delicious desserts, and we all tried each others with the next being more yum than the one before. I had palm sugar and vanilla tapioca with coconut icecream and little wafers. Little pearls of tapioca in a glossy thin custard, with shards of young coocnut and lychee. Perfectly smooth coconut icecream. This is heaven.

Then I was initiated with silly presents. A little lawn-growing animal thing, a subliminal Dutch-learning CD (Mind Storm!), a tshirt with one of D and I's favourite lines from the trip, and an apron with the Diablo printed on it. This took the cake.

An absolutely wonderful surprise which touched me more than words can say.


In the apron with the Diablo


aka Charlotte and Harry


The soon-to-be Dutch residents!

5 Comments:

Blogger Mabs said...

Aww, that is gorgeous. Looks like you're having a jam packed last couple of weeks!

Can't wait to see you in Amsterdam!

12:30 PM  
Blogger Melanie O. said...

Best of luck, Juls!

3:02 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

Thanks guys!

12:24 PM  
Blogger AlphaChick said...

Such good friends, JB!!

10:34 PM  
Blogger The Late Bloomer said...

Wow, what a wonderful way to send you off! Sounds like you've been having a great time, and after all that work with the preparations, you deserve it! :-)

1:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home