Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Karen Martini's Syrian Chicken

Again, the delightful Elegant Sufficiency provided another recipe I had to make stat, Syrian chicken by Karen Martini. It's so wonderful to have all the herbs and spices on hand so even a dish with many ingredients can be whipped up in half an hour at the end of a weekend.

Karen Martini's Syrian Chicken, slightly adapted, serves 4
1kg chicken thigh fillets, cut into big cubes
2 ts sea salt
2 ts ground cumin
2 ts ground cinnamon
1 ts pepper
1 ts ground turmeric
2 Ts olive oil
1 large brown onion, sliced
1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and cut into matchsticks
5 cloves garlic, bruised with the back of a knife
2 tomatoes, coarsely chopped
2 pinches saffron threads
1/2 ts cumin seeds
5 sprigs thyme
1 lemon, juiced and zest grated
2 Ts honey
100g currants
1/2 bunch coriander
(The recipe includes currants, which I don't like but it doesn't lack anything without them. I also didn't have red chili, which the recipe has two of).

Add the salt, cumin, cinnamon, pepper and turmeric to the chicken and coat. Set aside while you get everything ready.
Heat olive oil in a large frypan. Add chicken and brown on all sides. Remove from pan and set aside. Add onions, ginger, garlic (and chilies if using) to pan and cook for 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, saffron, cumin seeds and thyme and cook for 2 minutes.
Return chicken to the pan and add lemon juice and zest, honey, (currants if using) and enough water to just cover chicken. Cover with a lid and simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes. Uncover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until chicken is tender and cooked through and sauce is slightly reduced. Stir in coriander.
Serve with couscous or rice.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that sounds amazing. I love having recipes that come together quickly but are still complex and interesting. I can't believe all the spices in this one!

10:50 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

hmmmm - I've got most of those ingredients on hand or nearby (joys of living in a Muslim suburb)

10:03 AM  
Blogger Sassy said...

looks yummy

10:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much! You wouldn't believe how desperate I was to find this recipe back. It was published in Sunday Age but unfortunately I lost my copy and mixed "Moroccan" with "Syrian" (I have no clue how I did that). So, I was desperately looking for Moroccan chicken recipe but none sounded like this recipe for obvious reason. I am glad to find it back. Thanks again :)

2:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home